Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Late Start; The Road to Accutane

I intended to blog from the moment I took my first dose of Isotretinoin, but never took the time.

A LITTLE HISTORY

So, I'll bring you up to speed. I'm 33 this month! Crazy. And still, still suffering from acne. Acne, a very real skin condition. Not a blemish here and there, not a small spattering of pimples on my chin, but cystic acne, acne vulgaris, blackheads, whiteheads, scars, large pores and redness. I can say without exaggeration, that I've had this since I was 13. Some days better than others, but chronic.

If I'm honest with myself, I'd also say that I've spent thousands of dollars trying to "treat" the acne. You name it, I've tried it. Every topical product they invent (and to all those who feel me, say it with me..."Have you tried Proactiv?"...really?) most of the dermatologist's prescriptions, retin-a, antibiotics, lasers, microdermabrasion, blue light therapy (p.s.- DON'T BELEIVE THE HYPE) and even all the ol' wive's-tales. Was it something in my diet? Something I was doing, creating for myself? Was it as simple as that? Please, someone shed light on this...or, just help me.

Of course I had heard of Accutane, but I put it out of my head, thinking the side effects weren't worth it. Suicide? Are you serious? Liver damage? Birth defects? If it causes that much damage to a fetus, what would it do to me over time? It just wasn't for me. So, I put it off--for about 15 yrs.



About 3 months ago, I just couldn't do it anymore. I went online, checked out some accutane forums. It flucuated, the blogs, the photos--I read horror stories, saw sad pics, saw some people with huge improvements. But what I really saw was hope, a small window of hope.

3 MONTHS IN

So, here I am. 57 days into treatment with 60mg of Isotretinoin. Which is also called Sotret and is just the generic form of Accutane.

I've been on the same dose the entire 57 days.

When I read other accutane user's posts and blogs, I usually just scan quickly for results! photos! encouraging words! Anything that would help me hold on. Unfortunately, even after 3 months, I can't give you too much. But, BUT, I do notice a difference. And although you won't be able to figure out how that could be from the photos (that I will post soon, promise!), there are some definite changes for the better.

No comments: